Saturday, May 12, 2012

Photography Contest


Hey! So recently I entered a contest (or my mom...) This was my very first photography contest and I was pretty excited for this. I was pretty busy that week but I managed to put in 1-2 hours of shooting. So the contest was from Thomson Reuters (where my mom works) and it was for Asian Heritage Month, I believe. (Thomson Reuters is known for their photography) So this contest was open to all of the employees and the contest was to answer "What does it mean to be Asian in America" and my mom asked me to enter for her... of course. I wanted to go for a thought provoking image. Not just some fun, image appealing picture. After hours of shooting and setting up my room (boy was it messy...) I came up with these 2 pictures. 


In this picture I wanted to really capture what it meant to be Asian in America in a very subtle way. The components are lightly hinted but there. I'm wearing a traditional Chinese dress and a pair of Converses (a classic American brand) I really wanted to incorporate the Asian and the American side of me. :)




This was the first idea that came to my mind when I read the contest thread. It was pretty obvious and straightforward, but still with different depths. I had to photoshop this picture quite some bit. I added in that American Flag (because I didn't have one on hand) and I had a lot of things that were stuck on my wall and I had to get that out. Underneath the flag you can see my poor editing skills, haha. I was cramming in for the deadline, and in actuality I submitted this picture 10 minutes late. I really liked the shadows that came from the bed posts as well. There's not much to say bout this besides me wearing a tradtional Chinese dress with a fan and Oriental bed and with an American flag in the background. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment